It was a another crazy week in the NFL, and without further adieu, let’s jump right into it with our two most discussed teams (the good guys and the bad guys).
Patriots 31, Green Bay 27 — The Patriots escaped the Green Bay Packers yesterday, in a game that should not have needed escaping. The 31-27 victory was still a W, but you’ve got to give the Packers credit for coming out strong. The on-side kick to start the game was ballsy, as was the play of back-up quarterback Matt Flynn. You’ve got to feel bad for the guy — although he played great he did crumble on the last play of the game — and nothing could have been cooler than beating Tom Brady in your first career start and on your dad’s birthday (he was in the stands). Regardless, you’ve got to applaud his effort.
This game also showed the world once again what I’ve long stated is the blueprint to beating the mighty Pats. A step by step guide for those of you who haven’t caught on….
1) Win the time of possession battle — Keeping the ball out of Tom Brady’s hands is the key. The Pats offense had the ball for only 19 minutes in this game.
2) Half running plays, half passing plays — This chews up clock, and confuses the Pats young defenders (they let up 27 points to a QB in his first career start).
3) Use some form of trickery — See on-side kick to start the game.
Eagles 38, Giants 31 — I’m trying very hard to not start this game’s comments with HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. So long, Giants. There goes the division. That said, I actually think you will still get a playoff berth still — you play Green Bay next (followed by the mess that is the Redskins) and Matt Flynn showed that he can’t handle blitzing well. Michael Vick was a stud as usual in this one, what else is there to say. This was an absolutely debilitating loss, in all ways. I will give you this — this game was NOT Eli’s fault (for once). I always give the Giants “D” their due, but this one is squarely on them. So at least I’ll save you the Eli hammering, for today.
Now for the fun part — messages I received from Giants fans, all of whom were at the game, throughout the course of the action:
1) I don’t hear you eagles fans, and I’m talking to you bandwagoners and giant haters. This is GIANT football.
2) How does that Eli Manning dive fumble taste. Looked like a fumble to me you know why…cuz were taking over first place.
3) GMEN BABBBBYY!!!!!!!
4) This is a DOMINANT win.
And the subsequent message from the Eagles fan, God Bless him…
1) Hope you guys didn’t leave quite yet..
Let’s just say that although the Pats scared me a bit yesterday, everything worked out just as it should have. “This is GIANT football!” Sure was…